Monday, November 5, 2012

Natural Capital of the Election


This week's readings focused on community economic development and then on a global scale about natural capital. There was a lot of talk about resources as a major player in politics as a new greener era emerges. 

Their plans verbatim from their sites


I thought with election day being tomorrow, I would touch on President Barack Obama and Governor Mitt Romney's energy plans by breaking them up side by side for comparison on their version of energy policy and how they plan to monetize natural capital. 
As an environmental scholar I of course have criticism for both plans, one more so than the other. However obvious that may be you, my dear reader, are entitled to your own opinion on who will be a more successful leader. But I am going to be as non-partisan as possible when discussing this because that is only fair. Let us now consider the bright  (and I say bright because with both of these plans there will be an excess amount of cosmic radiation that will come through and toast us to our core, okay that is a bit overdramatic but you get my point) future that we will have under either administration. 

If we continue with the current Obama administration we are supposedly to be encompassed in an all encapsulating environmental plan to reduce the drastic current climate change. This to me, is a very important statement. It is our current president saying "yes we have a climate problem that needs to be addressed" (not an actual quote). This is a major step in the right direction. His second bullet mentions moving towards oil independence by cutting our imports by roughly half which he says can be done by increasing the fuel economy of cars to on average of 54.4 mpg by the year 2050. His third bullet combines with his fifth when he states the importance of having a clean energy economy. He plans to do this through natural gas, clean coal (which I still hold does not truly exist), wind, and solar energy by 2035.

If we opt for change and vote in the Romney administration we can expect "onshore" energy production, which I am taking to mean clean coal, natural gas, solar, and wind energy. In the second bullet Romney emphasizes "the most robust five-year offshore lease plan" which will open resource development... I think that means drilling for oil since he is quite vague on this point. Point three states opening a pipeline between Canada, the US, and Mexico to promote "cross border energy investments." Point four states to reassess all previous energy resource assessments to determine the current capacity of our natural resources. His fifth point emphasizes the enactment of stronger environmental regulation to reduce industries from over emitting while still maintaing a strong economy. His last point emphasizes the need for innovative technology pertaining to environmental security done by the private sector to encourage diverse fuels and natural gas to be eventually used in the transportation sector.

Based on my interpretations I decided to give a +1 or a -1 for each bullet point for each candidate to see based on my interpretation of how they turned each environmental point into a SUSTAINABLE natural capital position. Here is my breakdown:


1. I gave Obama a +1 for connecting energy economics with climate protection.
2. I gave Obama a +1 for trying to cut oil usage so significantly.
3. I gave Obama a -1 for using natural gas because of how destructive it can be to mine for it and how small a 100 year supply actually is.
4. I gave Obama a +1 for investing in solar and wind power.
5. I gave Obama a +1 for increasing the fuel economy of cars to cut down CO2 emissions.
6. I gave Obama a +1 for investing in clean energy sources (minus the fact of his inclusion of coal as clean).
7. Bringing his grand total to a 4
   
 ________________________

1. I gave Romney a +1 for his enthusiasm to create energy in states, even though he left which type of energy vague.
2. I gave Romney a -1 for offshore drilling
3. I gave Romney a -1 for building an oil pipeline that will be pulling oil from the pristine state of Alaska.
4. I gave Romney a +1 for reassessing current natural resource stocks
5. I gave Romney a +1 for increasing regulation and transparency
6. I gave Romney a +1 for promoting private sector innovation for cleaner technologies
7. Bringing his grand total to a 2

Obama 4: Romney 2

After crunching the numbers based on how I view and interpret their points, it is obvious to me, that Obama wins on the energy/environmental front. Though I am not a supporter of clean coal as Obama is,  I can stomach it more than I can of drilling in Alaska for oil. There is just this horrible image in my head of brown bears drenched in oil from a leaked pipeline, or birds dying from a loss of habitat to build a pipeline. It is my opinion that Obama finds the environment to have more natural capital and inherent value than does Romney.

Though this is not the only platform either gentlemen are running on, it is an important part of both of their campaigns. All I can say is I hoped to bring you the facts on where each man stands, and on my interpretation of their views on Resource Politics as a student of sustainability.

And don't forget, no matter which person you vote for,  HAVE A VOICE, MAKE A CHOICE!


6 comments:

  1. I did this exact assignment my freshmen year of college here at SPEA comparing Obama and McCain's environmental plans in 2008. I love that you have brought it back. Obama won in my opinion then as well. Although I do not want to bring politics into this, but it pains me how much those in red are against addressing climate change or environmental issues. I recently saw a youtube clip of Romney during a speech where someone in the audience yelled out "What about the climate!?" and all Romney did was dismiss it by smiling, nodding his head and moving on with is speech. It is just so frustrating!

    Here is the link to the video: http://grist.org/news/romney-grins-awkwardly-as-his-audience-shouts-down-climate-activist/

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I was disappointed climate change was never discussed in the debates, I was not surprised. Now that Obama has won and has more leeway in his second term, it will be interesting to see how he will address climate change, and which points in his plan that you've provided will come to fruition first. I'm not expecting monumental change, but I'm hoping for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was already going to vote for Obama and knew of Obama and Romney's energy plans, but this was a nice refresher before going to vote! I know many Republicans who are convinced we need to drill offshore for oil in the U.S. in order to become less dependent on oil from abroad. However, it's interesting to see that increasing the fuel efficiency of vehicles can also work towards this same goal without destroying the habitat of tons of wildlife. With the ever increasing fuel efficiency of new cars, I think 55 mpg will be met by many new vehicles very soon, not to mention the several cars that already do get over 55 mpg.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though none of them really addressed climate change in the debates, Obama did mention investing in renewable energy and addressed the topic a little. Like Allie said, your post was a great refresher. Obama did mention not 'shying away' from climate change in his victory speech. I do believe change will definitely occur in the right direction, hopefully with more emphasis. I'm glad those keen on investing in coal are going to be reconsidering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to be slightly less bipartisan in my comment, mainly because the issues with Romney's plan are both obvious and irrelevant now and I could do an entire blog on them alone. But I have an issue with Obama's first three points, politically and environmentally. If part of your future energy plan is to research ways to make coal and natural gas and oil more 'sustainable' we're in trouble. I also don't really agree with the wide spread approach in its concept, the focus should be on a few very capable sources (solar, wind, nuclear) and only them.

    And now I'm going to be blunt on his second point, because it has annoyed me since he first used it. Of course oil imports are at a twenty year low, who wants to pay $4 a gallon when you might make $10 an hour, if you still have a job. I never drove much before the gas spike, but I assure you I don't drive unless I need to now. Telling me part of your plan is to stop oil imports and that we're already on that path with the reason we're on that path what it is makes it sound like we should just kill the economy so we stop importing oil. I really would really have liked a sentence in that point on how and why he intends to cut oil imports, efficiency vs domestic oil? And you already pointed how the issues with his 'let's go get natural gas!' plan...so I'll just leave that one alone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephanie, this was a fantastic idea! I'm thoroughly satisfied with your analysis, despite your bias (come on, it's not hard to know who you side with, I have two classes with you)! We should see more descriptive breakdowns of presidential speeches, and more importantly, actions taken. And why should it stop with presidents?? Public employees in general are accountable to the public, and many are accountable to the environment. As Brian mentioned, even some of the things Obama has mentioned are not truly sustainable. So, I'd like to see this breakdown on regulations and litigation pushed through in this term!

    ReplyDelete