Monday, October 15, 2012

Underground Cities: An Alternative Transportation System

As the readings call for alternatives in transportation sustainability, and our walkability initiative with Bloomington, I got interested in what a pedway system can do in a major city. And if it is at all functional and should be utilized in smaller cities.

Deep beneath the hustle and bustle, buried feet below the city of Chicago lies a hidden system of tunnels nestled just below your feet. With harsh winters and winds that bite at your face, the idea of a pedway below the city only makes sense. However, no one really knows about it. As a Chicago native I had never heard about this pedway system till recently this year. I was irate that after four years of undergrad and traipsing through the city with my whole body nearly frozen like a popsicle I would have loved to use a pedway system. And as my time here at SPEA draws to a close I start to wonder if it will be useful to me in the coming future.
With more than 40 city blocks connecting one another to train stations, retail stores, hotels, skyscrapers, and the merchandise market the system would appear to be seamlessly formed. However, most natives don't know about it. There are apparently signs around the city to mark the hidden entrances but I have yet myself to ever see one.
However, unbeknownst to me at the time, I have myself walked through a tunnel taking the "L" in Chicago and transferring lines. Although the elevated train system is kind of old and not the safest it is highly efficient and gets you around the city rather quickly at a pretty reasonable price. But back to the pedway. Transferring from the Blue Line to the Red Line in Chicago requires you to walk down a dingy, tiled, weirdly lit, and smelly tunnel to get to the next line. Turns out that is the typical pedway that is rather new.
The pedway wasn't that bad when I was with my boyfriend late at night and lots of others commuters, but if you asked me to walk around the city by myself through these tunnels you would have to have me armored with a baton, taser, and pepper spray. But the typical tunnel for the pedway isn't as lovely as the one above. It is a bit scarier.

If Chicago could get its act together and make its pedway system safer, cleaner, and better advertised I know many people would take advantage of it on torrential rain and basically through the entirety of the winter. Chicago has harsh weather and its people are always looking for a way to avoid trudging to work in subzero temperatures, with whipping wind, and mounds of snow to battle just to get a few blocks down in the city. There is much opportunity for growth and as the city moves towards being even greener, I anticipate they may start to utilize this system more if it is remodeled. But do I think Bloomington would ever need a pedway system, most likely not. If we didn't have such a good bus system I might say it would be good to integrate somewhere into the IU campus. However, our busses tend to get you where you need rather quickly so a pedway would be unnecessary. But in Chicago, it would be AMAZING!!! Well if they cleaned it up a bit and maybe if I got a taser.
-Stephanie

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous10/16/2012

    Steph- thank you for your post! Believe it, or not I had never heard of a pedway system before! I was curious to learn more about it, and where else they were in the world. Apparently Toronto's PATH is very impressive; not only does it serve as an underground walkway connecting you to public transportation, but it doubles as a shopping mall! It holds the Guinness World Record for longest underground shopping complex (17 miles). It's super cool! Check it out!
    http://www.toronto.ca/path/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would also hesitate to take the Chicago pedways alone at night. I lived there for six years and also had no idea about most of these. But, if most of them are anything like the few I have entered (a giant toilet), I'm better off not knowing.

    Some cities have above-ground ones (Indy, Minneapolis), which I much prefer. I hate being underground, and I doubt I'm alone. And, of course, the skyways are harder to escape notice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been to Chicago many times and yet had no idea that there was an underground pedway system until you said so in class today!

    To echo what Jackie said, above-ground skyways are much better! I lived in Minneapolis for 3 years, and the comprehensive downtown skyway system does encourage walking even in cold snowy winter months. It is amazing how many power-walkers you see doing loops in the skyway at lunch!

    I feel like some money spent wisely could do wonder's for Chicago's pedways, but much like buses or the L it is ignored because it is seen as only serving the needs of the poor and working class. Pshaw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have also never heard of the pedway system in Chicago, although not surprising because I've only been there a few times. Although, I have heard of underground tunnels for pedestrians to avoid unpleasant weather conditions in other places. There are underground tunnels beneath the Indiana State Government buildings in downtown Indy that go around part of the city, including a tunnel that connects to the Circle Center Mall (convenience for lunch hour?). I've also heard rumors that there are underground tunnels beneath IU's campus that only certain people have access to, like some professors and students who are conducting researching for the university. However, this may just be a rumor. Regardless, these tunnels seem like an ideal way to make walking more appealing in cities. I wonder how costly it would be to create a tunnel system beneath an existing city...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’ve lived in Chicago for almost my whole life and I’ve never heard of these tunnels before. But I don’t find it odd that I don’t know of them because as unsustainable as it may be I prefer to take my car everywhere. I prefer to walk if the destination isn't too far. I suppose I could start biking, but I always need room in my car for work, running errands, or picking up people. It gives me a sense of freedom as well. It's nice to have a car. I hate waiting for buses, taxis are expensive, and sometimes busses are full. And then after wasting time at the bus stop you have to wait for the next bus or find alternate means of transportation. Plus, walking is a great physical activity and a good way to get your day started! Depending on other people for transportation only increases your chance of being late and whatever consequences follow. Yes, I know it’s extremely expensive and harms the environment but I’m one of those people who thinks that if you’re not fifteen minutes early to class, you’re late. Taking my car, if the destination is too far to walk, is the only way I can ensure my control over whether I am on time or not. Even if I am driving it’s out of my hands due to high traffic levels in the city. But back to the tunnels. These tunnels seem to be only in the South Loop. Perhaps they would be more effective at decreasing motor vehicle transportation if they expanded the system. Here’s an article about underground tunnels in Chicago in the early 1900s. http://mikes.railhistory.railfan.net/r047.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. University of Minnesota also has Gopher Tunnels, which connect many of the campus buildings. I've been in a few, and they are much, much nicer than the pictures you posted above. How about a Hoosier Tunnel outside of SPEA?

    http://www1.umn.edu/pts/maps/Library/pdf/BikeGoMpls.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simple thought, can we put a tunnel under 10th in front of SPEA so people can walk and drive there with no problem? Who decided a cross walk there was a smart idea?

    I love the idea of underground cities. But I guess I can settle for just walkways and shopping malls for now. Be a bit easier to heat/cool and work with safety with most people walking underground.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing. Well, I clicked to comment about how I too was unaware of Chicago's Pedway system, that above ground skywalks appear safer and more appealing, and that Minneapolis was a great example. But apparently our classmates have all of that covered.

    And Bryan, I love the underground tunnel idea in front of SPEA because right now the crosswalk creates excessive auto congestion and idling. I always argued for a walking bridge there but a tunnel may actually be best. Maybe if IU upgrades its steam distribution system it could renovate and convert the old steam tunnels into pedestrian friendly pedways.

    ReplyDelete