Sunday, December 2, 2012

Sustaining My Community Commitment

As I previously reflected on my blog, throughout this semester, I would like to take a minute to reflect on the class that all of this work was for. My Sustainable Communities class was much different than I had anticipated, though I thoroughly enjoyed it. Having taken many sustainability classes in the past I thought I was well prepared and would not gain much from this class, but at the end I would have to beg to differ. The texts that we read, and the intellectual discussions that we had every class were extremely beneficial. I was able to finally see all types of sustainability that has been initiated in areas and proven positive to be synthesized together. My favorite part of the class would have to be the times we were given tasks to create a company, a community, or an idea and present it using sustainability as its main focus. It taught me a lot about combining different aspects of communities and sustainability depending on the need, demographics, and location of the place. I truly enjoyed this class and the discussions. Not to mention, I am now an avid listener to TedTalks and even downloaded the app on my phone. I also found a lot of enjoyment out of our Walkability Bloomington project. I always tend to enjoy a class more where there are tangible results, ones that I can see initiated in the community. As I noted in a previous blog post about my Loyola University agriculture project and how I am still attached to it, I know I will be the same way with this project in Bloomington. As our presentations approach to the city I am excited to see how it goes over and if it will end up being implemented as we had hoped. All in all I really loved this class and am happy to know that it will be extremely beneficial in my career as I am only one semester away from being a SPEA grad. I would also like to send a thank you out to all my followers and readers. It has been an amazing push to continue to write enthralling posts as many of you comment and even tell me in person how much you loved my recent post. So a big thank you to all of you for your support.

-Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment